Tertiary Research Group
Programme No. 56 for 2010Programme Co-ordinator: Graham Ward
Telephone: 01277 218 473
TRG Homepage: http://www.TRG.org
Details of the Programme are as complete as possible at the time of printing. Updates will appear as necessary and will be posted on our Web site.
The Tertiary Research Group cannot accept liability for any loss or accident incurred whilst on out field meetings. Everyone who attends does so at his or her own risk. Always wear suitable footwear and clothing.
For quarry visits, please bring your own hardhat and high visibility vest.
Sunday April 18th
Field Meeting to
Warden Point, Sheppey, Kent.
Director: David Turner
An opportunity to look at the London Clay exposed on the foreshore and the usual seeds, pyritized gastropods and sharks’ teeth.
Low water is at 09.51 am
Waterproof boots are essential as the foreshore is muddy
Joint visit with the Essex Rock and Mineral Society.
- Meet at 10.00 a.m. at the car park [TR 023 718].
Sunday April 25th Field Meeting to
the Naze, Walton, Essex
Director: Gerald Lucy
An opportunity to collect fossils from the fine exposures of Red Crag and London Clay.
- Meet at 11.30 a.m. at the cafe by the cliff-top tower [TM 264 234].
- Low water 3.48 p.m.
- Joint visit with the Essex Rock and Mineral Society.
Sunday 16th May
AGM at 81 Crofton Lane, Orpington, Kent.
Hosts: David and Alison Ward
All TRG members are welcome to the Annual General Meeting. Please bring any interesting, spectacular or unidentified finds from the previous year.
The formal meeting starts at 2 pm. Food and drink will be available from 1.30pm and throughout the afternoon.
Nearest railway station: Petts Wood - 15mins by foot.
For further details, contact David Ward (landline: 01689 871 565, mobile: 07971 567 325).
- Meet from 1.00 pm onwards at 81 Crofton Lane, Orpington, Kent, BR5 1HB
Sunday 4th July
Field Meeting to The Cliff, Althorne, Essex, [TQ 921 967]
Directors: Rick Johnson and Jeff Saward
An opportunity to collect sharks' teeth. crabs and molluscs.
- Meet at Althorne Station [TQ 905 979] at 10.00am.
- Joint visit with the Essex Rock and Mineral Society and Essex Field Club.
Sunday 25th July
Field Meeting to Crag Sites of Suffolk
Director: Bob Markham
Various sites in the Coralline Crag and Red Crag will be visited.
- Meet at 10.30 a.m. at Woodbridge railway station car park [TM 273 487].
- Joint visit with the Essex Rock and Mineral Society and Suffolk Natural History Society.
Sunday 12th September
Workshop: Digital micro-imaging.
Director: David Ward
The workshop will cover various ways of achieving a presentable digital images of small fossils without the use of an SEM..
Sunday 3rd October
Abbey Wood, Kent.
- Meet at 2.00 pm at 81 Crofton Lane, Orpington, Kent, BR5 1HB
- Because of space limitations, attendance must be restricted to 10 members.
- If oversubscribed, the workshop could be repeated later in the year.
- Reserve a place by email: email@example.com.
Director: Jerry Hooker
This trip continues to be the most popular of recent years, with individuals and extended families taking the opportunity to dig and sieve the richly fossiliferous early Eocene Blackheath shell bed.
- Attendance requires all participants to retain and search all material over 0.5mm. Participants may keep all they find, with the exception of reptile, bird and mammal remains, which should be brought to the Director’s attention. Please bring a digging tool, a large bucket or bowl, bags and your own set of graded sieves. Water for wet sieving and a few sieves should be available.
- Meet at 12.00 a.m. at the excavation within the woods. Abbey Wood station is within walking distance. Drivers please park on Abbey Road (the B213), not in the woods.
- As previously, we must hire a mechanical digger. This is a costly undertaking, so it is hoped that all active participants will make an appropriate donation, in the order of £20 (Members) and £25 (Guests). Without this voluntary donation we would not be able to afford this excavation.
Steve Tracey has offered to lead a Paris Basin long weekend sometime in the late Spring or Summer. Register your interest and availability to the Secretary, David Ward by email: [ firstname.lastname@example.org ]